Thursday, May 1, 2008

what's under there?

Last Saturday, we had a garage sale and my neighbor had planned one for the same day. (It's funny because we did the exact same thing last year, too.) Well, afterwards, we boxed all our leftover stuff, and so did the neighbor. Tuesday was the neighbor's checkout inspection, and I guess she decided to just leave a huge box of left over clothes by the dumpster.

Around lunch the doorbell rang. When I answered it, my husband's chief's wife was standing at the door. "There's a big box of clothes by the dumpster," she said. I nodded. "Can you help me get it, and can I keep it here until I get home from work?"

"Okay," I said. She explained she volunteered at a homeless shelter in Palermo, where they take in immigrants seeking asylum, and they basically have nothing. So we hauled the box over to my porch on Carlee's wagon and she caught the bus to work. She and her husband stopped by later that night to get the clothes. I helped them sort them out, as there are different camps for the men and women. Everything was fine, and they were happy with the huge amount of clothes.

So, yesterday, I babysat a friend's daughter while she had her packout (I've lost 4 friends in the past week to PCS moves!) She came to pick up the baby around 2 pm, and afterwards, Tony and I decided to go for a walk. When I got outside, I noticed this weird black string on the front porch under a desk we have out there. "What is that?" It was connected to a tiny piece of fabric and had a few other strings.... then it dawned on me... "IS THAT A THONG?!" I said outloud.

"What!?" Tony said looking at the same tiny piece of fabric. "Where did that come from?"

I started laughing, "I guess from the neighbor's box of clothes." We looked at it for a few seconds... "Oh my goodness, I hope N didn't see that when she came and picked up the baby!" I immediately felt so embarrased. "Tony go throw it away." I wanted it off my porch!

"I don't want to touch it," he said. But he was going to the garbage anyway, so he picked it up by the very end of a string and walked off with it. I couldn't stop laughing... I really hope no one noticed it and thought it was mine. That would be so embarrasing... but of course, even if they saw it, no one would say anything... (to my face anyway.)

4 comments:

Reese said...

LOL! That is a good story to remember!

mira said...

I've been unpleasantly surprised like that a couple of times while dumpster diving, lol. I think people should label their boxes/bags: "this is good, someone come dive it" or, "don't even bother, you DON'T want to know".

Sheena said...

LOL no kidding! :D

Mrs. Guthrie said...

*lol* yummy....